Open burn tube surgery
Several years ago, I dramatically increased the efficiency of my forced air burners by placing a loose packing of stainless steel wool within the burn tube. During my last firing the steel wool decided to burp out of the tube and skitter into the kiln like tumbleweed. Even though I was able to shove the steel wool back into the burner with the kiln running it added five hours to my firing time. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the sleepless night, the wasted gas or the added expense. I decided it was time for a more elegant solution to my burner efficiency problem. This required some serious metal fabrication. First step was slicing off the top of the burn tube. I also cut some fins out of mild steel bar stock. Here's the first photo.